The main failures on the 1229 are as follows:
(1) The tone arm clutch pad (part. # 223777) deteriorates, impairing tone arm lateral motion during cycling – replace.
(2) The single-multi tone arm height adjustment switch uses a rubber retainer for positive switching – this deteriorates causing the tone arm to bind laterally – replace.
(3) The speed selector assembly gets sticky, causing the idler wheel to have difficulty engaging the motor pulley – clean.
(4) Contacts and lead wires in head-shell and cartridge carrier oxidize, causing signal loss and/or hum – clean.
(5) The start/stop levers get sticky, causing unresponsiveness, or often the levers will stick in start position – clean.
(6) The end-of-play trip pawl on the cycling cam becomes under-damped, causing the machine to “endlessly cycle” – adjust.
(7) The large metal lever that goes to the motor power switch at one end and to a latch near the arm at the other gets sticky, causing the machine to have difficulty either starting or stopping motor rotation – clean.
(8) The viscous damping on the cuing fails, causing the arm to drop like a rock – re-pack with the proper silicone paste.
(9) Motor bearings squeak – open up the motor and oil both top and bottom bearings with a high speed turbine oil.
(10) Dress the edge of the idler wheel to expose new rubber for positive contact.
(11) Platter mounting bracket disassembled, drilled and tapped and the platter shaft is re-installed and locked into place with a set screw. Without this service, the platter shaft can fall out after all these years.
(12) General cleaning of the machine.
What we don’t want shipped to us:
- Counterbalance and shaft
- Platter (in most cases)
- Please call before shipping for detailed disassembly and packaging instructions.
Current Pricing Information
The cost for this service is $195.00, plus freight. All service parts are in stock to complete the above repairs. Should we encounter additional problems that the above service procedures won’t fix (say a broken lever), we will quote that cost to you and wait for your authorization before we begin.
We have always felt that these specific Duals were some of the finest tables ever offered by any manufacturer. With proper service, they will keep spinning for many more years. Be assured that we will treat your Dual as if it were our own. After servicing, we play it for a few days to make sure that all is operating in a “like new” condition.
Thank you for visiting FixMyDual.com.
We specialize in service and sales of the most popular Dual Turntables – those manufactured from 1970 to 1975.
Unlike others who do some of this and some of that, repairing these Duals is ALL we do at FixMyDual.com. We also have one of the largest parts inventories for these tables. If you Dual needs a specific part to get it going again, chances are that we will have it!
Specific Duals that we work on:
Idler Wheel Drive units:
1209, 1214, 1215-S, 1216, 1218, 1219, 1225, 1226, 1228, 1229, 1229Q
Belt Drive Units:
601, 124X series
Direct Drive Unit:
701, 704, 721
Bench Rates: A standard rebuild is $195.00. This includes standard service parts. Replacement Parts are additional, and freight charges are at the owners expense.
Send a Message
Please Solve Math Problem and use the submit button to submit your message. Thank you!